Designers Can Open Source
Garth Braithwaite, @GarthDB
- Open Source software, how it affects design
- As designers, we’re trying to solve problems, like developers
- Adopt practices of open source development, we can adapt faster
- Better collusions of ideas
“Designers are the most overworked group of people I know of in this industry.”
- Open source software for everybody! Er, maybe not
- Actually blog about your process
- Share your source files
- Use code as a design tool
- “Designers are often guilted to learn to code.”
- Not trying to do that
- "Don’t be the designer that codes, be the designer with the bigger tool box.”
- It’s easier to collaborate with code than design.
- Collaborate! Find a designer you’d like to work with.
- Don’t break each other down, but talk through problems.
- Donate! If you have useful things, friggin’ open-source it. If the client didn’t like it, give it away.
- Contribute. Even if you can’t use git, developers will work with you.
- To work collaboratively with designers, you need to work with other designers.
- HOLY SHIT I WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO BROWSERIFY OR SOMETHING ELSE. IT WILL BE FUN.
- Don’t let pride, fear of committee, tooling, file formats, lack of desire, or unreasonable greed get in the way of being happy and sharing.
- A Humble Manifesto:
- designopen.org, @designopen
- You should contribute!!
- Designers can open source, and we should.
- Everyone needs to make money, so worry about that before coding :)
Single page applications. A general overview.
Tiffany France, @tiffanylou
- ?? She works at C1? I should talk to her/>???
- Angular, KnockoutJS
- a web application, single web page, desktop app-like experience
- I SHOULD TALK TO HER ABOUT MICHAEL WARREN AND GIVING THE INTERNAL TALK ON THIS
- Latency: how long does it take to load? How long does it take the user to accomplish what they want to do?
- half a second caused a 20% drop in traffic at Google loading 30 results instead of 10
- Amazon, Shopzilla: all did speed tests
- It was a direct correlation to revenue in most causes. Users respond to speed
So, SPAs + Latency?
- offset server work to client
- selectively load page fragments
- arguably, it helps if you never leave your presentation, or that transition is really smooth
- predict users' next actions
- use localStorage to remember users' actions
- reduce load time with templates
- AJAX for tasks, like signing up for emails
- localStorage: preload data for faster experience
- Quick Mobile Apps: offline apps
- lack of page refreshes and dump it into PhoneGap. Tutorial
Nick Wilson, @@TheHalfandHalf
- Analog Research Lab
- Make posters, books, stickers, etc. for internal stuff
- Make beautiful fucking shit
- The 10 Commandments of Transit, Transit Commandments
The Power of Side Projects
Matt Keas, @matthiasak
- Leverage them to make your day job better.
- No boss. You can choose your own challenges
- Build the skills you need
- "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."
- Progression of Mastery: learning something very deeply. Specialization.
- Keys to Survival: respect your own damn time.
- Turn on do-not-disturb.
- Documents things. When things work, he documents them. When they don't, he documents them.
- I like the idea of reading everything, and publishing notes on them
- Publishing your thoughts on articles
- Publishing your attempts to solve problems even if you don't understand why they worked or didn't
- Next idea: talking about designing something that's super, super ugly
- Saying no to design work, which feels weird
Making Musical Instruments & Music also My Successful Kickstarter (+ a live performance)
- He's singing
- You can use software to make music
- this was bizarre and very cool
Noah Scalin, @NoahScalin
- Ethics into action for design
- You won't make a lot of money or even a living in the beginning, but you shouldn't have to choose between your ethics and your work
- On your deathbed, will you be happy you sold crap to people?
- Are you the gun (killing) or the megaphone (getting ethics across)?
- Make a commitment to yourself to do an action
- Working with your hands is important. You shouldn't start on the computer.
- We talked about this all the time in school, but most designers don't do this
- Nick saying in SF that they were having this problem: all the designers wanted to start high fidelity
- It takes a long time to have a good idea, and you have to shift through a lot of shitty ones because you even have that first grain of a good idea. Might as well do all that shit on paper.
- It's bizarre to be that creative but to be scared of paper
The Wordless News Creation Process
Maria Fabrizio, @StudioRia
- Another sketch-a-day project
- Illustrations for news stories every day
- Sometimes there's nothing good, or... nothing, or only negative
- She wakes up mad early
- Is waking up this early the secret to success or something?
The Journey Not The Destination
James White, @signalnoise
- Showed all of his old, old drawings. It's pretty awesome to see this stuff.
- Like me with Pokémon
- Photoshop + Illustrator, same tools
- Like everyone else, does cool stuff, gave us his life story, made us laugh, but I haven't really learned anything
- Don't lose sight of the things you wanted to do as a kid that were ridiculous